About this role
Our engineers are collaborative and have a keen appetite for learning. And they’re building a safer, more open internet for millions of people around the world.
Our engineers work cross-functionally alongside a variety of different specialties, and people from other functions. We approach engineering through the following principles: TDD by default, always CI/CD, data and automation centered, with security at the core.
It’s also paramount for us to empower our engineers to make their own calls about the tools and technologies that best address the problems they are trying to solve.
In this role, you will be instrumental in driving the research, design, and development of our next-generation privacy and VPN technologies. Your extensive background and expertise in the internals of Linux, software engineering, and various other domains will enable you to address complex technical challenges and deliver high-performance, scalable solutions.
As creators of our TrustedServer and Lightway products, you will be working with thought leaders in their industry who prioritize simple, maintainable and secure solutions that scale out and have very low operational overhead. This is a fast-paced agile team that prides itself on solutions which have a direct impact on millions of users worldwide.
You will leverage your skills to build and maintain our rolling Linux Operating System, from high-level configuration management to low-level kernel tuning and end-to-end security of build & deploy pipelines. Debugging issues in our unique world of ephemeral, no-logging Operating Systems comes with many unique and interesting challenges, so bring your curiosity and dive in.
- You will get to develop on innovative technologies using modern approaches and cutting-edge languages such as Rust
- You will be part of the core engineering teams responsible for our custom in-house technologies like Lightway and TrustedServer
- Tremendous opportunity to apply your expertise and directly influence the direction of our technologies that provide privacy, fight censorship and are globally recognized as industry-leading
- Develop and implement advanced privacy and VPN solutions tailored to the evolving needs of our users
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to design and optimize system architectures and infrastructure
- Utilize your deep understanding of Linux internals, software engineering principles, and systems design to create high-quality solutions
- Enhance system performance by leveraging your expertise in systems-tailored languages such as C or Rust
- Analyze, optimize, and troubleshoot Linux kernel components, system modules, and APIs for improved security and efficiency
- Keep up-to-date with industry trends, emerging technologies, and best practices to drive continuous improvement of our products and services
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or a related field
- Significant experience in Linux, operating systems, software engineering, systems design, performance optimization, reverse-engineering and system interfaces
- Proven success in delivering complex projects involving Linux-based systems
- Solid understanding of networking protocols, cryptography, and security best practices
- Exceptional analytical, debugging, and troubleshooting skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a collaborative team
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Excellent documentation writing skills
Nice skills to have, but not required (if any)
- Experience using Rust for system-level development
- Experience with modern VPN and network technologies such as Wireguard