We are hiring Network Engineers at Senior and Staff Level
Since 2017, our team has developed cybersecurity solutions and apps for our customers; today we’ve grown to 6.5 million paying users and over 100 million readers worldwide. We believe in having the best products supported by top teams and developing world-class technology to deliver a superior experience to our rapidly growing audience.
To realize our vision, Kape develops, acquires, and distributes various leading digital security software products such as ExpressVPN, CyberGhost, Private Internet Access, and Intego, with close to 1,000 team members globally.
We’re a rapidly-expanding engineering organization actively designing and building a modernized approach to handling and optimizing our global network traffic and infrastructure. Our work will directly impact and influence the wider organization’s ability to deliver key features and provide industry-leading VPN performance, while also enabling and participating in exciting new capabilities to be developed in the future.
This role will play a major role in the architecting and implementation of our new transit network and infrastructure, while also working alongside extremely talented software engineering teams. You will have the opportunity to apply your experience and expertise, and be a critical influencer in the decision making processes.
What you’ll be doing
- Designing and architecting a modern globally-distributed network infrastructure as the Subject Matter Expert to meet the needs of the business and its customers.
- Designing and creating an observability methodology for the new globally-distributed network infrastructure.
- Collaborating with Product Managers and Technical Owners, as well as business functions to continuously refine scope and deliverables related to ongoing initiatives.
- Working with 3rd Party Providers on describing requirements, challenging their technical acumen, and performing due diligence on their offerings to ensure it meets our needs.
- Working with other teams to understand their objectives, requirements, and challenges, which will be used to influence the approach and design of our solutions.
- Modeling, implementing, and proving the proposed designs to ensure feasibility, alignment to objectives, and meeting expected outcomes.
- Researching and defining performance indicators best positioned to provide the visibility required to measure current performance, key improvements, cost association, and alignment with industry-standards.
- Articulating and documenting detailed information about plans, designs of network topologies, operational requirements, processes and other necessary data used to provide visibility and understanding within the business.
- Enable operations teams to get onboarded and actively support associated projects through knowledge sharing and technical sessions.
Your success will be evaluated by:
- Satisfaction of internal customers
- Enabling of new VPN/privacy features and capabilities to be developed
- Ease of operating and maintaining the infrastructure
- Cost and energy efficiency of the infrastructure
- Quality and detail of process and documentation
- Meeting objectives around measurable performance gains for defined network-based indicators such as latency and packet loss over various distances
- Quality of outcomes provided from partners and providers
3 best things about this role
- Design and build the next generation network for the #1 VPN.
- Greenfield project from POC to MVP to Go-Live.
- Work in a highly visible and skilled Team.
What you’ll need to succeed
- Expert in-depth experience with TCP/IP (v4 and v6), BGP and MPLS technologies
- Experience supporting large-scale peering/transit networks, with a sound knowledge of complex traffic engineering and Internet routing policies
- Extensive experience with and deep understanding of at least one of the major network hardware platforms, such as Cisco, Juniper, Alcatel, Nokia and other mainstream vendors
- Experience with designing and implementing colocation models for network and server stacks
- Experience with and understanding of network design, architecture, and implementation to meet defined requirements
- Strong ability to define and understand quality performance metrics for network infrastructure and traffic
- Proficiency in Linux or Unix-based systems
- Knowledge of tunneling technologies (i.e. IPSec, OpenVPN, GRE)
Nice skills to have, but not required
- Experience with designing or architecting very large networks, high availability, or global backbones is a major plus
- Previous industry experience at similar environments such as ISPs, IXPs, DCs, major IP carrier networks
- Experience with or working knowledge of SDN / SD-WAN is a plus
- Knowledge of modern observability stacks like Prometheus/Grafana
- Strong automation/scripting skills in Python, Go, or others
- Good understanding of best security practices:
- Threat modeling
- Network-based attack vectors (i.e. DDoS)
- Experience using agile software development practices