We are looking for an expert in operations
Were you drawing flowcharts before you could write? Do you love breaking down complex processes into simple steps and optimizing them? Lead and grow a global team handling our operations in one of the most exciting industries: tech.
- We’re a leader in a fast-growing industry.
- Millions of users worldwide rely on our services 24/7.
- Excellence in operations is core to the business.
- We face unique challenges and opportunities from our global customer base.
- We have a meritocratic culture with fast decision-making.
- You’ll be responsible for overseeing all areas of technical operations. By “technical” we mean “excluding customer support.” Your scope includes:
- Service operations. This team’s metrics include the customer-satisfaction, uptime, capacity, performance, security, reputation, and operating-costs for our 3000+ physical servers across 150 cities world-wide. The team is responsible for deciding which markets to serve how, planning capacity, purchasing and deprecating hardware and network resources, selecting and managing vendors and negotiating contracts, monitoring for and resolving incidents as tier1, and adjusting configuration values.
- Payments from customers. We process millions of payments across more than a dozen banking partners and payment providers. This team decides which payment methods to offer in which market how, maximizes payment success rates, reduces involuntary churn due to billing issues and keeps payment-fraud and transaction costs within acceptable levels.
- Microservices. This includes our website, signup and several backend systems. In total there are about 40 microservices. This team reports on the SLAs and acts as a check and balance to the development teams that build the services. Metrics cover uptime, performance, capacity, security, abuse levels, censorship-resilience, financial costs, and disaster preparedness.
- For each of those areas you:
- Are the people manager for the team leads.
- Oversee the creation and execution of hiring plans globally, most importantly leaders for each of your teams. Some already have leads, some not yet. Most teams need analysts, some also engineers. Some may need either a follow-the-sun model or a shift schedule to provide more coverage hours.
- Ensure their SLAs are clearly defined, tracked, reported, and that they achieve their targets.
- Define the vision and roadmap.
- Coordinate with other teams across the company, especially engineering, product, customer support, finance and security. Your teams will often need to provide requirements for engineering teams to create or improve tooling.
- Ensure processes are efficient and reliable.
- Oversee the creation and execution of skill development plans. Identify and plug skill gaps systematically.
Currently there are several operations teams reporting directly to our technical co-founder. We’d like to consolidate those teams under you.
Once you join, the org structure will be:
- Technical co-founder
- Product Operations lead
- Payment Operations lead
- To be hired by you and report to you: several leads for the other areas described above.
- Your peers: managers for engineering, product, finance, HR, security, recruiting.
Description of ideal candidates
- Required: you have several years of experience as a people manager, including managing other people managers. That means you excel at interviewing people, onboarding new-hires, defining expectations, holding people accountable, and guiding career and skill development.
- You’re skilled at designing and documenting business processes, rolling them out, defining and tracking their metrics, and improving them over time. This is currently a skill-gap on the team, and you’ll need to be able to lead by example and train your team in this area.
- You have a proven ability to learn about technology. You’ll need that to effectively lead the teams described here. You’re comfortable leading teams where you don’t have all functional expertise yourself. You’re able to ask insightful questions so you quickly understand what matters, even if you don’t understand the details.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Those will let you effectively coordinate with other teams, influence without direct authority, and manage people who aren’t necessarily all in the same office.
- General culture fit for our company:
- Results-oriented. Get it done. Show results, not just activity.
- Humility. We communicate very directly, exchanging feedback with radical honesty in pursuit of excellence. Check egos at the door.
- Curiosity. Our industry and business are growing so quickly, we’re constantly learning and facing new challenges.
What we offer
- Challenging work in a fun and collaborative environment
- Attractive compensation and time-off benefits
- Spacious open-concept and centrally located offices
- Full-time employment with flexible working hours
- Fully stocked pantry with fresh fruit and snacks
- Team lunches and company events every quarter
- Multicultural teams represented by 30+ nationalities
For more than 10 years, we’ve been paving the way to a more private and secure digital world. We’re an international SaaS company and a leader in the cybersecurity industry. Millions of consumers worldwide use our internet privacy and security products every day.
Our team of over 800 employees works from all around the globe. We have team members in major cities like London, Hong Kong, Singapore, Paris, Toronto, Perth, and more. And we’re just getting started.
We’re profitable and growing. We’re hiring talent across all functions: software development and engineering, product, data analytics, marketing, content, and people. Join us today and be part of our mission.
Note: Please do not include any salary or compensation information on your resume