Take the lead of the Android team
Our company is at an exciting inflection point. We’re planning to massively expand our business by providing new product offerings from within a single application. We need you to facilitate this by leading the development of our core Android Super App.
We expect you to be a strong technical lead who cares passionately about quality and security. We also expect you to be a great people manager who can inspire and motivate their team, lead by example and promote our company culture of proactiveness, problem solving and attention to quality.
You’ll be responsible for shipping our app to customers at a high frequency and ensuring our customers have a world class experience. You’ll be empowered to use the latest tools and technologies and define processes to enable your team to function efficiently.
About the team
We provide the scaffolding and release vehicles into which multiple product units contribute to create a super-app of privacy and security services for Android.
- Build the foundations of the Android app into which other product units then contribute functionalities to new products
- Define code architecture, including guardrails to enable multiple teams to contribute safely.
- Configure and manage our build systems.
- Operate our test pipelines.
- Pick test frameworks and guide other teams on using them well.
- Have a veto right over contributions by other teams.
- Build test-cases that span multiple product units, such as battery, performance, stability.
- Coordinate releases to customers, typically once every two weeks.
- Oversee open source licensing.
- Coordinate technical documentation.
- Provide apps developer time and expertise on Android as a service for other teams.
- Are accountable for:
- Quality: especially performance, stability, battery-life
- Velocity: ultimately measured by how quickly we can deliver value to customers
- Meeting SLAs for the build and CI systems
- Satisfaction of other engineers with their ability to contribute to each app
Responsibilities of this position
As leader of the leader of the team described above, you will:
- Build a world class, modern and responsive Android application.
- Define best in class architecture for the application and set the quality bar which all code must meet
- Ensure your application can be shipped to customers every week
- Ensure your code has excellent test coverage with a strong affinity for automated testing
- Ensure your software meets a high security bar – never ship P1/P2 security bugs
- Provide Android consultancy and development services to other teams in the business
- Ensure projects have well defined requirements, technical designs, threat models and test plans
- Own your team’s SDL processes and ensure processes are simple and efficient
- Hire for your team and ensure it has the skills and capacity to meet the business’s needs.
- Define roles and expectations, train your team and hold them accountable in meeting the highest standards
- Proven track record as a people manager. You are experienced in holding your team accountable, leading skills development and career plans, providing continual feedback to your team members, motivating them and coaching them, defining hiring plans, leading interview loops and making hiring decisions.
- Expert Java or Kotlin developer
- Solid understanding of Android programming and APIs
- Must have developed and shipped several high quality native apps for Android
- Capable of writing robust multithreaded code
- Expert in writing automated tests
- Passion for writing well-architected, readable code and maintainable code
- Experienced with project management software like Jira and processes like Scrum or Kanban
- Great verbal and written communication skills
- Strong sense of ownership, great problem solver, hunger for learning and positive disposition.
- Experienced developer on at least one other platform
- Solid understanding of IP networking, including both low-level sockets programming and high-level application layer programming
- Experience with TDD and BDD
- Experience with engineering secure code and auditing code for security issues
What we offer
- Challenging work in a fun and collaborative environment
- Attractive compensation and time-off benefits
- Spacious open-concept and centrally located offices
- Full-time employment with flexible working hours
- Fully stocked pantry with fresh fruit and snacks
- Team lunches and company events every quarter
- Multicultural teams represented by 30+ nationalities
Note: Please do not include any salary or compensation information on your resume