Take charge as the software development lead for our backend engineering platform and tools team
We are an engineering team responsible for building and operating the systems and tools that manage our world-wide infrastructure of more than 3000 physical servers in more than 150 datacenters. We:
- Maintain an accurate inventory of resources spanning data centers, networks, and servers.
- Decide how all resources should be configured, then ensure that they in fact are configured as expected. All automatically.
- Provide the necessary data and decisions to let our client-side apps get and stay connected quickly and reliably.
- Design, build and operate systems that enable our operations teams to deliver maximum service quality to our end-users. That includes extensive monitoring and benchmarking, including comparing our own service-quality against our competitors.
Our customers are internal:
- Engineering teams building native client-side apps for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux, Routers, and Browser Extensions.
- Operations teams.
Here are a few highlights of challenges we face and how we go about solving them:
- Millions of active users connect to our service every day from all over the globe. That brings demanding requirements for uptime, capacity, reliability, etc.
- We have very strict requirements for protecting the privacy and security of end-users.
- Our infrastructure is very diverse, especially since we’re based in so many different datacenters around the world. We automate all processes 100%.
- We’ve been practicing test-driven development and code-reviews for many years. We very much value code quality and test coverage.
- We are a leader in technical innovation with our homegrown technology
Our current stack involves
- Ruby on Rails / Python / Lua for Application Development
- We use Rspec / Pytest / Busted for automated tests
- Heavy use of AWS and to a lesser extent Google Cloud
- Terraform and Cloudformation for IaC (Infrastructure as Code) and Ansible for Infrastructure Deployment
You will lead one of several software development teams on the larger team described above. Your responsibilities will include:
- Create the hiring plan for your team world-wide, design plans for assessing candidates, work with our recruiting-team to source and test candidates, hire and onboard new staff. We’re currently under-staffed. You need to grow the team significantly. The team is already spread across several cities and timezones and works remotely very effectively. Our flexibility on physical location makes it faster to hire top talent.
- Be the people leader for all members of the team. You hire, train, motivate, assign responsibilities, and hold people accountable. You will compare actual versus expected deliverables at high frequencies, and exchange actionable feedback.
- Understand the needs of your internal customers, track how well you’re addressing those needs, and create plans for addressing unmet needs. You own the backlog for your team. Given the highly technical nature of this space, there are no product managers attached to your team.
- Lead the execution of your plans at top velocity. Run efficient project management, continuously invest in raising the skill-levels of everyone on your team, coordinate with your partner teams and customers, etc.
- Be able to perform many of the duties of your team members. Be able to lead by example and be a credible advisor for all roles on your team. This means you are expected to remain hands-on with technical work. Perform code reviews, ensure that architectural decisions are made well, ensure high-quality documentation, and also do some coding.
- You’re an expert software developer in server-side applications. It doesn’t matter much to us which technology stacks you’re currently most proficient in. That only impacts the length of your onboarding cycle.
- You can describe almost any requirement as an automated test.
- You have a proven track record of creating elegant architectural solutions to complex problems.
- You have a proven track record of using efficient development workflows for teams in particular with CI/CD.
- You enjoy managing people and are very good at it. That means you have had several direct reports for at least two years and demonstrated the ability to develop a team including hiring, coaching and mentoring of team members
- You’re able to understand the strategy and needs of the business, then plan and communicate meaningful technical product roadmaps.
- Have strong English communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Experience developing applications in Ruby on Rails or Python
- Experience with test automation with frameworks such as Rspec / Pytest / Busted
- Experience with AWS or Google Cloud
- Experience with Terraform and Cloudformation for IaC (Infrastructure as Code) and Ansible for Infrastructure Deployment
What we offer
- Challenging work in a fun and collaborative environment
- Attractive compensation and time-off benefits
- Spacious open-concept and centrally located offices
- Full-time employment with flexible working hours
- Fully stocked pantry with fresh fruit and snacks
- Team lunches and company events every quarter
- Multicultural teams represented by 30+ nationalities
Note: Please upload your resume as a PDF and do not include any salary or compensation information in it.