Location: Hong Kong, Singapore or Remote (+/- 8 hours from Hong Kong)
About this role
We’re a fast growing engineering organization where teams are actively encouraged to find the right tools for the job. However some aspects of operations, including container management, software delivery and operational observability can benefit greatly from standardization through tooling and knowledge sharing.
This role is about building platforms to accelerate other engineering teams’ development and aid operations through standardization.
Teams will need to be persuaded to use your tools and infrastructure so you’ll need to be a keen educator, helping engineering teams see the benefit of using your tools or infrastructure. You will not be expected to operate applications on behalf of other teams, who will be expected to understand how to operate and scale applications on your platform.
As leader of this team, you’ll be responsible for:
- Articulating a strategic vision for your team covering the business plan, technology, architecture design and operations.
- Teaching & sharing knowledge throughout the company, to help other engineering teams achieve their goals faster, more securely and more directly. Tooling and platforms you provide will aid them solve their specific problems while you solve more general problems in infrastructure and observability.
- Being the people manager for all members of the team. You hire, train, motivate, assign responsibilities, and hold people accountable. You will compare actual versus expected deliverables and exchange actionable feedback at a high frequency.
- Creating the hiring plan for your team world-wide, designing plans for evaluating candidates, working with our recruiting-team to source and test candidates, hiring and onboarding new staff.
Your success will be evaluated by:
- Satisfaction of internal customers
- Availability and uptime of infrastructure you provide
- Ease of use
- Effectiveness of training and quality of documentation
- Uptake of standardization of processes as teams choose to onboard onto tooling and infrastructure you provide
- Cost savings you achieve through optimizing infrastructure spend
Requirements for the role include:
- Experience managing software engineers:
- Mentoring and guiding the growth of engineers
- Evaluating performance of reports and resolving performance issues
- Managing production systems:
- Resolving issues in mission critical systems
- Learning from outages using blameless post-mortems
- Business analysis:
- Prioritizing work taking into account business priorities
- Capturing requirements from a diverse set of stakeholders
Nice skills to have, but not required (if any)
Useful skills or knowledge to have include:
- Knowledge of Docker and Kubernetes
- Hosting on cloud and cloud native technologies
- Knowledge of modern observability stacks like Prometheus/Grafana or TICK
- Experience with logging and tracing tooling
- Good understanding of best security practices:
- Threat modelling
- Working with and managing secrets
- Experience using agile software development practices