Location: Hong Kong, Singapore or Remote (+/- 8 hours from Hong Kong)
About the Payments Team
We are a cross-functional team that is responsible end-to-end for enabling our customers to pay us. Our success is measured by:
- Payment success rates, which are affected by component metrics such as: Coverage i.e. Availability and discoverability of relevant payment methods globally; Conversion-rates of UX/UI designs; Conversion-rates of routing and retry rules
- Recurring revenue captured, which is influenced by involuntary churn rates and collection-rates.
- Transaction costs. We control those by negotiating terms with payment providers, adjusting UX, and defining routing rules.
- Fraud metrics: rates of false-positives (“good customers denied and lost or with a poor brand impression”) and false-negatives (“fraudsters causing chargebacks”).
- Satisfaction of our internal customers in operations, finance and customer support.
We are responsible for most aspects needed to meet our success metrics. That includes:
- Engineering: we design, build, test and operate the products and services that process payments from customers and that let the business mitigate payment fraud risks. Some are microservices that we own end-to-end, others are products (ie: our Android and iOS apps) or services (ie: our CRM) that are shipped and maintained by other teams and for which we make source-code contributions.
- We are on-call for our services 24/7. Our SLA includes having never more than one after-hours incident per person per quarter. We design our systems to be sufficiently reliable, and we have the necessary budgets and know-how to achieve that.
- Managing relationships with more than a dozen payment providers such as credit-card processors and aggregators like Paypal, Bitpay and others. That includes sourcing new partners and negotiating terms.
- Communicating with customers in automated ways across all aspects of our website, all apps, and emails.
The team consists of people with these roles:
- Product manager acting as product owner.
- Software developers with backgrounds spanning microservices, web UIs, Android, and iOS. While people on the team bring different skills (ie: they might come from Android, iOS, or backend backgrounds), we’re one team and we try to work across technical boundaries, spreading skills around the team as needed.
- Operations analysts staffed seven days per week that handles payments edge-cases. The leader of that team reports to this position.
- Data analysts
Each role reports into a manager from their same function.
Responsibilities of this position
This is a newly created position to create and lead the team of software developers for payments. Currently the area of payments is covered by software developers handling various other areas as well. We’d like to create one group of engineers specializing in payments, led by this position.
As leader of this engineering team, you’ll be responsible for:
- Creating the hiring plan for your team world-wide, designing plans for evaluating candidates, working with our recruiting-team to source and test candidates, hiring and onboarding new staff. We’re currently very much under-staffed. You need to grow the team significantly.
- Being a people manager for software developers. You hire, train, motivate, assign responsibilities, and hold people accountable. You will compare actual versus expected deliverables and exchange actionable feedback at a high frequency.
- With the product manager: managing the backlog of what to build.
- Guiding the software development process.
- Designing processes, documenting them very clearly, measuring their metrics, and improving them. Given the very operational nature of payments, an important part of this is defining and tracking your SLAs.
Desired skills and experience
To do well in this position, you should:
- Be an experienced leader of software developers.
- Enjoy managing people and be very good at it. That means: you’ve had several direct reports for at least five years and you’ve demonstrated the ability to develop a team including hiring, coaching and mentoring of team members
- Be excellent in test-driven development and designing test plans. That’s critical to payments and central to our engineering culture.
- Have integrated various payment service providers.
- Have strong English communication skills, both written and verbal.
To make your onboarding faster, it’d be nice if you also have experience in:
- Operating 24/7 services with stringent uptime requirements
- Agile project management
- Ruby on Rails, since some of our payments-related microservices are currently written with that stack.
- iOS and Android development
- Payments, especially with credit-cards
- Managing vendors and negotiating terms
What we offer
- Challenging work in a fun and collaborative environment
- Attractive compensation and time-off benefits
- Spacious open-concept and centrally located offices
- Full-time employment with flexible working hours
- Fully stocked pantry with breakfast foods, fresh fruit and snacks
- Team lunches and company events every quarter
- Multicultural teams represented by 30+ nationalities
Note: Please upload your resume as a PDF and do not include any salary or compensation information in it.