For more than 10 years, weâ€™ve been paving the way to a more private and secure digital world. Weâ€™re an international SaaS company and a leader in the cybersecurity industry. Millions of consumers worldwide use our internet privacy and security products every day.
Our team of over 800 employees works from all around the globe. We have team members in major cities like London, Hong Kong, Singapore, Paris, Toronto, Perth, and more. And weâ€™re just getting started.
Weâ€™re profitable and growing. Weâ€™re hiring talent across all functions: software development and engineering, product, data analytics, marketing, content, and people. Join us today and be part of our mission.
About the Data Engineering Team
Our team acts as a central nexus to connect various data producers with consumers across the company. Our customers are:
- Other engineering teams across the company that produce or consume data that need to be combined with other data sources.
- Analysts on the data insights team.
We are accountable for delivering:
- A data platform as a service that enables engineers and analysts across the company to ingest, anonymize, enrich with other data sources from anywhere else in the company, persist, analyze, purge, and otherwise process their data.
- Tools, training, and coordination.
- Solutions to data-engineering problems that donâ€™t fall into any one business unit, or where the business units donâ€™t have sufficient capabilities themselves. For example, we team up with the data-insights team to build and operate churn-prediction models used by both humans and other systems at scale.
Our responsibilities include:
- Building and operating the data platform service, including defining and tracking its SLA.
- Guiding various engineering teams to design models and schemas of the data to be fed into the platform, making sure they can be processed in a scalable way and used by analysts efficiently.
- Guiding data analysts on the use of the data platform.
- Building libraries/modules and reference implementations of data ingesters on several common tech stacks.
- Partnering with other teams on projects to build data engineering solutions such as for churn-prediction, payment fraud management, and other company-wide challenges.
Other notes about our team:
- Our tech stack currently is mostly AWS, Airflow and Tableau, and we imagine it will evolve significantly over time.
- We intend to have a range of engineering roles on the team, covering people with backgrounds in software development, infrastructure operations, and data science.
This is a newly created position to become the leader of this team. The companyâ€™s data pipelines and responsible engineers are currently spread across multiple teams. Your joining the company will mark the beginning of a centralized data engineering team. Your responsibilities will include:
- Create the hiring plan for your team world-wide, design plans for assessing candidates, work with our recruiting-team to source and test candidates, hire and onboard new staff. Weâ€™re currently very much under-staffed. You need to grow the team significantly.
- Be the people leader for all members of the team. You hire, train, motivate, assign responsibilities, and hold people accountable. You will compare actual versus expected deliverable at high frequencies, and exchange actionable feedback.
- Articulate a strategic vision for your team covering the business plan, technology, and operations, and align that with various other teams across the company.
- Design processes, document them very clearly, measuring their metrics, and improving them.
- Be able to perform many of the duties of your team members. Be able to lead by example and be a credible advisor for all roles on your team.
- Be excellent at Data Engineering.Â
- Extensive experience operating large scale data pipelines and databases.
- Extensive experience designing and implementing complicated ETL jobs.
- Expert in SQL.
- Experience in stream processing using tools like AWS Kinesis or Kafka.
- Experience in big data analytic frameworks like Hadoop or Spark (optional).
- Experience in writing automated tests.
- Enjoy managing people and be very good at it. That means:
- youâ€™ve had several direct reports for at least two years,
- youâ€™ve demonstrated the ability to develop a team including hiring, coaching and mentoring of team members.
- Be an experienced agile project manager.
- Requirements gathering and solution architecture. That means:
- youâ€™ve worked with multiple stakeholders to draw out requirements and define use cases,
- you have a proven ability to assess uses cases and requirements, then design suitable solution architectures.
- Strong English written and verbal communication skills.
What we offer
- Challenging work in a fun and collaborative environment
- Attractive compensation and time-off benefits
- Spacious open-concept and centrally located offices
- Full-time employment with flexible working hours
- Fully stocked pantry with fresh fruit and snacks
- Team lunches and company events every quarter
- Multicultural teams represented by 30+ nationalities
Note: Please do not include any salary or compensation information on your resumeÂ Â