We’re hiring a Contracts Counsel
ExpressVPN is at the forefront of legal issues relating to data privacy and cybersecurity. We’re also experiencing phenomenal growth, and are looking for a talented, driven, and process-oriented Contracts Counsel to help our in-house Legal team deliver best-in-class support to the company. The successful candidate will be responsible for helping different areas of the business meet their contracting needs by reviewing, drafting, and managing a variety of commercial contracts, purchase and service orders, renewals, terminations, and more.
As a member of our dynamic team, you will also provide proactive and practical advice on best contractual practices, risk management, and internal and external communications regarding the contracts being negotiated. We are looking for someone who can take a hands-on approach to driving improvements to our team’s processes. This is a Singapore-based role.
What you’ll be doing
- Draft, negotiate, review, and manage a wide range of commercial agreements.
- Work cross-functionally to identify, investigate and manage risks across the business.
- Provide proactive and practical advice on a variety of legal and operational issues, including those related to data privacy, cybersecurity, intellectual property, termination rights, indemnity, limitation of liability, and overall industry practice.
- Act as the go-to person for all contracting needs.
- Abide by and help the Legal team enforce the prevailing contracting and compliance guidelines.
- Assist other members of the Legal team in a variety of special projects as needed.
- Assist with managing external law firms across a variety of practice areas, while balancing cost and effectiveness in the delivery of legal services to our stakeholders.
- Contribute to the continued development and improvement of our data privacy and information security policies, practices, and procedures.
- Contribute to the continued development, improvement, and deployment of our legal operations tools.
What you’ll need to succeed
- LLB or JD (or equivalent) and admission to the Bar in at least one relevant jurisdiction
- Minimum 2 – 5 years of relevant experience
- Experience reviewing, drafting, and negotiating a broad range of commercial contracts, such as general services agreements, SaaS agreements, licensing agreements, data protection agreements, purchase orders, NDAs, novations, amendments, etc. is a must
- Experience in contract management or other comparable experience within a law firm or in-house legal department is a must
- Experience implementing contract processes via digital tools is highly preferred
- Good understanding of contracting / compliance / risk assessment issues
- Good understanding of data privacy and consumer laws is a major plus
- Ability to work closely with stakeholders on the identification, prioritization and treatment of material contract risks
- Ability to create, simplify, and improve legal and contracting processes
- Ability to support, promote, and implement new initiatives
- Currently based in Singapore
Nice skills to have, but not required
- Strong critical thinking skills are a must
- A proactive attitude and a desire to learn new things
- Proficient in English, both spoken and written
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to manage multiple projects at once
- Proven ability to meet tight deadlines and prioritize workload
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a fast-paced and rapidly changing environment
- Sense of humor
Note: Please do not include any salary or compensation information on your resume