About this role
We’re a rapidly-expanding engineering organization actively designing and building a modernized approach to handling and optimizing our global network traffic and infrastructure. Our work will directly impact and influence the wider organization’s ability to deliver key features and provide industry-leading VPN performance, while also enabling and participating in exciting new capabilities to be developed in the future.
This role will lead a new team that will play a major role in the architecting and implementation of our new transit network and infrastructure, while also working alongside extremely talented software engineering teams. You will have the opportunity to apply your experience and expertise, and be a critical influencer in the decision making processes.
As the leader of this team, you’ll be responsible for:
- Be a hands-on manager, with technical depth, vision, and ability to innovate, to a strong technical team.
- Articulating a strategic vision for your team covering the business plan, technology, architecture design and operational processes.
- Manage relationships with partner engineering teams while applying your experience & expertise to improve best practices and drive consistency throughout the organization
- Teaching & sharing knowledge within your team and throughout the company, to help other engineering teams achieve their goals faster, more securely and more directly.
- Being the people manager for all members of the team. You hire, train, motivate, assign responsibilities, and hold people accountable. You will compare actual versus expected deliverables and exchange actionable feedback at a high frequency.
- Creating the hiring plan for your team as required, designing plans for evaluating candidates, working with our recruiting-team to source and test candidates, hiring and onboarding new staff.
Your success will be evaluated by:
- Satisfaction of internal customers
- Your team’s ability to architect a solution that meets their business requirements
- Effectiveness of communication to all stakeholders
- Effectiveness of training and quality of documentation
- Consistent progression of your team’s career and skills development plans
- Ability to consistently meet agreed quarterly OKRs
- Cost and energy targets you achieve through optimizing infrastructure design
- Performance and Quality of your team and their outcomes through defined measurements
Requirements for the role include:
- Experience managing Network Engineers
- Mentoring and guiding the growth of Network Engineers
- Evaluating performance of reports and resolving performance issues
- Experience managing production systems:
- Resolving issues in mission critical systems
- Learning from outages using blameless post-mortems
- Business analysis:
- Prioritizing work taking into account business priorities
- Capturing requirements from a diverse set of stakeholders
- Network engineering:
- Strong experience leading a team of highly-technical engineers
- Working experience and knowledge of routing, switching, and internet protocols
- Experience with working in / with 3rd-party Data Center Colocation Facilities
- Strong ability to evaluate, communicate, and work with 3rd-Party Providers and Vendors
- Experience with network design and architecture
- Proficiency in understanding and defining quality performance metrics for network infrastructure and the traffic that crosses it
Nice skills to have, but not required (if any)
Useful skills or knowledge to have include:
- Experience with designing or architecting very large networks, high availability, or global backbones is a major plus
- Previous industry experience at similar environments such as ISPs, IXPs, DCs, major IP carrier networks
- Experience with or working knowledge of SDN / SD-WAN is a plus
- Knowledge of modern observability stacks like Prometheus/Grafana
- Strong automation/scripting skills in Python, Go, or others
- Good understanding of best security practices:
- Threat modeling
- Network-based attack vectors (i.e. DDoS)
- Experience using agile software development practices