About this role
We have several openings for people-management of Software Engineers. Our Engineering Managers split their time between being an individual-contributor engineer on a team, plus being the people-manager for a few engineers.
Please review our general information about engineering at ExpressVPN, including our approach to teams and people-management.
- Writing code as an engineer on a single team.
- Also being the people-manager for a few engineers. “People-manager” here means you’re responsible for helping people grow their skills and career and representing them when the company makes decisions on compensation. However, this does NOT necessarily involve directing what work they should do. That’s done in teams.
- Prior experience in managing people, including defining performance-expectations, holding people accountable for results, guiding skill and career development, managing under-performance, guiding decisions on compensation, and making hiring-decisions.
- An intuitive understanding of how people think and make decisions, and a personality that gets joy from helping other people grow.
- Talent as a coach. You’re able to balance nurturing with demanding speed and quality.
- Good enough engineering skills to be able to assess and guide the skill-growth of other engineers.
What’s in it for me?
In addition to the reasons for joining in ExpressVPN in general, here are some key reasons for Engineers in particular:
- The people. We like to think that you’ll find them open and friendly, skilled and motivated, and unified by our mission to protect the privacy and security of millions of customers world-wide.
- Impact. Deliver with both high pace and great quality. You don’t need to convince people here to invest in good engineering practices.
- Skill growth. We cover a broad range of engineering specialties: many aspects of high-scale cloud applications, 7 client-side operating systems, firmware, bare-metal servers for which we compile the OS (see TrustedServer), our own open-source VPN protocol Lightway, etc. No matter what your background, you’re going to find someone from whom you can learn here.
- Career growth. We’re lucky to be a leading company in a fast-growing industry. We’re expanding the business and hiring many people, which brings many opportunities for you to evolve your role.
What we can offer you
- Challenging work in a fun and collaborative environment.
- Attractive compensation and time-off benefits.
- Spacious open-concept and centrally located offices.
- Financially successful and profitable company.
- Full-time employment with flexible working hours.
- Fully stocked pantry with healthy foods and fresh fruit.
- Team lunches and company events every quarter.
- Multicultural teams represented by 30+ nationalities.
Before you apply
- At the moment, we do not sponsor visas in the UK and the EU. For Hong Kong, we require at least two years of working experience and a university degree in a related field. For Singapore, we can only sponsor visas for mid-career or above.
- Please upload your resume as a PDF and do not include any salary or compensation information in it.