About Network Guard
We’re a fast-growing SAAS tech company providing privacy and security protections to consumers around the world. We build and operate services that are easy to use, fast, and secure. We’ve been in business for more than 11 years, we’re highly profitable, growing, and actively hiring.
- Large customer base worldwide, which brings many challenges and opportunities. We have millions of users who rely on our service 24/7/365 for a broad range of use-cases. Excellence in operations is therefore core to our business.
- Successful business in a fast-growing industry. We are a leader in a fragmented market and are growing quickly both because the industry is expanding and because we are gaining market share. We have sufficient financial resources to tackle large challenges for the long term.
- Highly skilled team using efficient processes.
- Meritocratic culture with fast decision-making.
About Data Group
The Data Group’s key objective is to enable all departments to grow the extent of data-driven decision making in both their strategy and day to day, through a self-serve approach. Some of the Group’s key customers are:
- Sales & Marketing
- Customer Support
- Internal Engineering who consume data for analysis or hook into events to reduce complexity of application development and/or for operations.
Current group structure:
- Our tech stack currently is mostly AWS Redshift, BigQuery, Spark, Airflow and Tableau, and we imagine it will evolve significantly over time.
- Data Analysts within our data-insights function partner with business stakeholders to integrate data into their decision making. We need to grow this further to support deeper and wider partnerships.
- Data Engineers within our data-engineering function support data-insights by delivering data through managed pipelines, with a continual delivery process to improve reliability. We need to grow our engineering roles significantly and intend to have a range of engineering roles on the team, covering people with backgrounds in software development and infrastructure operations.
- We intend to improve more advanced data insights by building data science capabilities.
- We intend to build a new data-governance function to further define and uphold data standards, policies and processes across the organisation.
Responsibilities of this position
This is a newly created position and your joining the company will mark the beginning of a Data Group to bring together all functions that work in this area.
The data-engineering function will be a key initial focus for you. It needs to grow significantly and the company’s data pipelines and responsible engineers are currently spread across multiple teams, so organisational design and data product design skills will be key. You will create a dedicated data-engineering function to build a data platform to support the needs of others in the group (data-insights) and others in the organisation (other engineers). Your responsibilities for data-engineering will include:
- Create the hiring plan world-wide – set out your organisational design, design plans for assessing candidates, work with our recruiting-team to source and test candidates, hire and onboard new staff. We’re currently very much under-staffed. You need to grow the team significantly.
- Be the people leader for all members of the function. You hire, train, motivate, assign responsibilities, and hold people accountable. You will compare actual versus expected deliverables at high frequencies, and exchange actionable feedback.
- Articulate a strategic vision for the data-platform product. Your vision will deliver against both the needs within the data group and broader within the organisation. You will define an agile project delivery approach for your vision, such that data-engineers will start to deliver clear business value quickly.
- Design processes, document them very clearly, measuring their metrics, and improving them.
As a follow on from the initial data-engineering focus and to appropriate timings, your role in leading the Data Group will include:
- Articulate a strategic vision for the Data Group. Your vision for organisational design goes beyond data-engineering encompassing data-insights, data-science and data-governance in collaboration with each function lead. You will create and execute hiring plans for data-science and data-governance to appropriate timelines matching your overall strategy.
- The Data Group works efficiently together across functions in servicing business stakeholder’s needs as a result of your organisational design, product design and process optimisations.
- Increase the extent of data-driven decision making in both strategy and day to day across the organisation.
- Create a strong culture of agile project delivery, ensuring people across the department understand the business value of what everyone in the data organization works to deliver.
Desired skills and experience
- Experienced leader of multiple teams in the data space. That means;
- You’re able to articulate and execute large hiring plans for multiple teams with a track record of hiring great people
- You’ve managed other people managers for at least 3 years.
- You’ve demonstrated the ability to develop a team including hiring, coaching and mentoring of team members.
- You’ve been a people manager for individuals from a different functional background to yours.
- You have experience of different data group organisational designs, with some exposure to managing growth and/or re-organisation of such groups.
- Product requirements gathering and user stories
- You’ve worked with multiple stakeholders to draw out requirements and define use cases and acceptance criteria.
- You have a proven ability to assess use cases and requirements, then propose suitable agile product delivery approaches.
- Excellent communication skills – you are able to engage people across the organisation at all levels.
- Relationships and influencing – able to quickly understand how an organisation works, making connections and building effective relationships with key stakeholders and partners.
- Show strong leadership in Data Governance and Quality
- Define processes and procedures to ensure we meet all our goals in terms of quality for the entire organization
- Align the data organization with privacy goals of the company
- Communicate policies company wide and make sure the organization knows how to discover and access data
- Fluent English written and verbal communication skills
What we offer
- Challenging work in a fun and collaborative environment
- Attractive compensation and time-off benefits
- Full-time employment with flexible working hours
- Team lunches and company events every quarter
Note: Please do not include any salary information and submit your resume in PDF format.