We’re hiring a DevOps Engineer
We are looking for DevOps Engineers to join our small but growing DevOps team. If you identify as a DevOps Engineer with prior relevant experience, or as a Software Engineer passionate about building resilient and scalable systems, this could be the role for you.
As a member of the DevOps team, you will have the opportunity to shape the next generation of how our engineers build, deploy and run their services in the cloud – services that serve millions of requests per minute to millions of users across the world.
Through infrastructure, tooling, knowledge and support, we partner with product teams to provide solutions that enable and empower them to deliver resilient, secure, scalable solutions in a timely manner. This could be anything from building observability tooling and educating teams on its usage, providing a standardised approach for continuous delivery or working with engineers on the best way to architect cloud-native solutions.
In addition to the reasons for joining in ExpressVPN in general, here are some key reasons for Engineers in particular:
- The people. We like to think that you’ll find them open and friendly, skilled and motivated, and unified by our mission to protect the privacy and security of millions of customers world-wide.
- Impact. Deliver with both high pace and great quality. You don’t need to convince people here to invest in good engineering practices.
- Skill growth. We cover a broad range of engineering specialties: many aspects of high-scale cloud applications, 7 client-side operating systems, firmware, bare-metal servers for which we compile the OS (see TrustedServer), our own open-source VPN protocol Lightway, etc. No matter what your background, you’re going to find someone from whom you can learn here. That makes for interesting conversations.
Career growth. We’re lucky to be a leading company in a fast-growing industry. We’re expanding the business and hiring many people, which brings many opportunities for you to evolve your role. You can rotate through teams and gain exposure to a broad range of challenges, or go into people-management. We value the individual contributor and people-management tracks equally.
What you’ll be doing
- Designing, building and operating the services we consume from AWS and services we run on top, such as Kubernetes and Prometheus
- Embed and pair with product teams across the company to solve systems and infrastructure style challenges
- Help evolve engineering standards and best practices
- Offer consultation on reliability and creating scalable, secure and resilient systems
- Build tools and infrastructure to make developers’ lives easier
What you’ll need to succeed
We do not expect that you have a deep understanding or experience of everything listed, but you should be willing to develop in the areas you have less experience in:
- Engineering background and strong interest in building and operating secure, scalable and reliable distributed systems
- Experience in Linux environments with the ability to troubleshoot problems at the OS, database, server, or network level
- Experience with a public cloud provider (AWS or GCP)
- Experience operating services at scale on top of Kubernetes (AWS EKS), ideally with a service mesh (i.e. Istio)
- Experience with observability solutions and concepts, including their usage in creating resilient systems (i.e. Prometheus, Datadog, Grafana)
- Experience with at least one programming language, such as Python or Go
- Experience of agile development practices
- Experience building tools and infrastructure centred around the needs of the user
- Strong experience of being on-call for mission critical services, incident management and running postmortems
- Excellent understanding of Infrastructure as Code (IaC) concepts and tooling (i.e. Terraform)
- Ability to communicate effectively through clear and concise documentation
Please upload your resume as a PDF and do not include compensation information.